Monday, December 31, 2007

Sun, sand and stories

Technically we're not from El Paso anymore but we were born and raised in the Sun City, where dust storms are as commonplace as Wal-Mart. It's that El Paso has a way of staying with you, like a visit to the beach, weeks later I'll put my hands inside the pocket of a jacket and feel the grit I unknowingly brought home with me. Depending on my mood I'm either annoyed or content with my memories of home.



It's our love of sun, sand, and stories that got Sheryl and I to thinking, "Hey, why don't we write about literature, the stuff we like, the stuff we're reading and like to read?" Sheryl walked me through the steps of creating blog, or rather, welcomed me to the 21 st century. I'm a blog virgin and so happy that Sheryl decided to join in popping my blog cherry. I think we're going to have lots of fun.



With that said I'd like to get down to the business blogging. I'm blessed to come across many books, manuscripts, clever etchings on bathroom stall walls and for some reason I feel compelled to comment about what I'm reading. With this blog, I envisioned an online book club of sorts, because the BookMates club I belong to here in Central Texas isn't enough for me. We only meet once a month and already have the year 2008 filled with books to read.



One author who didn't make our list but whose book I want to read is Doris Lessing. I recently discovered Lessing, the 2007 winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature. I know, I know, she's been around for, like, ever, and I stumbled across her by chance on the NY Times website when she won the big prize back in October. Actually, it was her photo that caught my eye first. She resembles my long since dead Nina in El Paso, gray hair pulled loosely into a bun, full moon face, gray eyes, features that radiate warmth. My Nina was all the incentive I needed. I hightailed it to my community library and I was thrilled that they actually had her books, five of them anyway. I live in a town, population 5,700, and man, our library rivals many inner city community libraries. I couldn't believe my luck. Of the five, I chose the title I could relate to, "The Fifth Child." I didn't know yet about "The Golden Notebook."



I was hooked from the very first sentence. "Harriet and David met each other at an office party neither had particularly wanted to go to, and both knew at once that this was what they had been waiting for." What an ordinary beginning to an extraordinary life they were both headed toward. I won't give away anything else in the book but I will say that Lessing's gift for turning (what some critics consider) the ordinary and mundane into social statements reminds me of Tillie Olsen, Flannery O'Conner, Kate Chopin, all the women I love to read. Books like this one are the reason I read fiction. Her gift for capturing how social pressures can undo even the best of people, or was it that the worst people can make social pressure undue influence, keep me hitting the bookstores and libraries.



I didn't realize what a leader she was in the feminist movement, until I read all the articles about her. She wasn't necessarily a part of the demonstrations but the women of the movement did adopt her literature as their own because she wrote about women, mothers, who were angry, aggressive, and unfulfilled when not many people were. Back in the 60s, she was attacked as being unfeminine. And her response to her attackers as quoted in the International Herald Tribune: "Apparently what many women were thinking, feeling, experiencing came as a great surprise."



"The Golden Notebook" is resting on my "to read" shelf and I'm just two books away from it. What's at the top of the pile is "Love in the Time of Cholera." It wasn't my pick. It's on my book club's list for January. Majority ruled on this one, I was the only objector. I first read "Love" when I was in my twenties and I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I remember the experience felt like a 50 years before I got to the end of Dr. Urbino's love story. I may have been too young when I first picked it up. It may not have been the right time for me to read the book. Now that I'm older and wiser I'm going to have another go at Marquez and I'm curious to see how much the book has changed, er, I mean I've changed.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

A great start Christine!

I've read a story I loved by Lessing once upon a time.

Welcome to blog-o-landia.

Onward!